What is a healthy diet?
Good food is essential to good health, whatever age you are. Eating a balanced diet will not only keep you healthy but also reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke and some cancers.
A healthy, balanced diet contains a variety of foods, including:
- Plenty of fruit and vegetables
- Plenty of starchy foods such as wholegrain bread, pasta and rice
- Some protein-rich foods such as meat, fish, eggs and lentils
- Some dairy foods.
It should also be low in fat (especially saturated fat), salt and sugar.
The Eatwell Guide shows the different types of food we need to eat – and in what proportions – to have a well balanced and healthy diet.
- Base meals on starchy foods
- Eat more fruit and vegetables
- Eat more fish
- Cut down on fats and sugar
- Cut down on salt
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat breakfast.
Find out more about healthy eating on the One You website and visit Change4Life to get ideas aimed at helping you and your family to lead a healthier life.