Good Neighbours Service, West Sussex
From the Royal Voluntary Service
The Good Neighbours service provides support to older people living in West Sussex who are living alone and are socially isolated.
Good Neighbours offer a time-limited service of weekly visits for up to 12 weeks’, with the aim of helping older people re-engage with their local community, become more independent and feel less socially isolated. This support could include:
- Helping someone to access or attend a club or group.
- Accompanying them on a short walk or outing.
- Assisting them to go shopping, or to meet up with friends.
- Giving them help to re-engage with former local contacts or to make new ones.
The service aims to increase social contact, improve health and wellbeing, promote choice and independence, and enable a person to build self-confidence.
The service can also link people with other organisations across West Sussex or nationally, that provide advice, support, and activities. The Royal Voluntary Service (RVS) can also provide ongoing Telephone befriending and a Virtual Village Hall service. All of the information for these services can be found on the RVS website.
The Good Neighbours service in West Sussex is funded by West Sussex County Council and is free of charge (any activity costs, such as club memberships etc are not included free, and will need to be met by the service users).
Service entry criteria
- People aged 65 years and over, living alone.
- People who feel socially isolated or lonely.
- People who do not have a network of local support.
- People who are unable to access and attend activities in their local community without support.
The service is volunteer-led and can only offer low-level support for a limited time. It is not suitable for people looking for long-term assistance or for individuals with complex health needs. Each referral is discussed on a case-by-case basis. Anyone can refer themselves or someone they know to the service, with the permission of that person.
The service is available in:
Adur, Arun, Chichester, Crawley, Horsham, and Mid Sussex
Phone: 01903 257019
The Good Neighbours service is always open to people wishing to volunteer their time, so do please get in touch using the above contact information or by visiting the RVS website to learn more.