Exercise referral scheme
Get fitter and healthier in just 12 weeks...
What is it?
- The 3 month scheme offers a programme of tailor-made activity at a local leisure centre for the prevention, improvement or management of your health condition.
- You must be prepared to attend a number of appointment based sessions of exercise, within a specified period (the number of sessions varies depending on the leisure centre you are attending).
- A trained exercise specialist will arrange to meet you before you get started and devise a programme tailored to your needs.
- You must be referred by a GP or other healthcare professional using the special referral form (you can only be referred once). Please note that your GP may not feel that a referral is appropriate for your condition and may be able to suggest a more appropriate Wellbeing service.
Why do it?
- The Exercise Referral Scheme gives you a specialised exercise programme which is suitable and beneficial for your particular health condition.
- The atmosphere is friendly and conducive to encouraging people of all ages and fitness levels to participate regularly in exercise.
How much will it cost?
- The consultation at the leisure centre is free.
- After that, you will be given a discounted price for the sessions (prices may vary across centres - mainly £75 for 3 months or £4.35 pay-as-you-go).
- You may also be offered an incentive to continue using the leisure centre at the end of the sessions.
The referral process
- Initial meeting/conversation with your GP or healthcare professional
- You meet the referral criteria
- Your GP or healthcare professional completes and signs Section A of the referral form. You complete and sign Section B of the form
- You or your healthcare professional will then need to either send or scan/email the form to the Wellbeing team at Horsham District Council, who will process the referral and send it across to the relevant contact at the leisure centre
- The leisure centre will contact you to arrange an induction/assessment
- You start the course
- At the end of the course you will receive a questionnaire to complete
- You may be offered an incentive to continue exercising at the leisure centre
The Horsham District Exercise Referral Scheme is currently delivered at:
- Billingshurst Leisure Centre, Station Road, Billingshurst RH14 9RY
- Bluecoats Sports Health & Fitness Club, Christ's Hospital, Horsham RH13 0YB
- The Bridge Leisure Centre, Wickhurst Lane, Broadbridge Heath, Horsham RH12 3YS
- Chanctonbury Leisure Centre, Spierbridge Road, Storrington RH20 4BG
- Henfield Leisure Centre, North Croft, Henfield BN5 9QB
- Pavilions in the Park, Hurst Road, Horsham RH12 2DF
- Steyning Leisure Centre, Horsham Road, Steyning BN44 3AA