Preparing to quit
Preparing to quit is more than just willpower alone, it’s about being practical. It’s about having a plan, understanding why you smoke, finding an option that’s best for you and having people support you.
It helps to set a date to quit smoking, and be ready for it:
- Support from a trained stop smoking advisor gives you the best chance of quitting for good. Visit our Smoking services page to find your local stop smoking advisor.
- Identify your smoking triggers and plan ahead.
- Buddy up with a friend so you can support each other.
- Stop smoking products can help you cope with withdrawal symptoms. Quitting with the help of these is about using the right product to fit in with your lifestyle. For the options available, take a look at these factsheets on Stop Smoking Products, E-cigarettes and E-cigarettes in pregnancy. Your local stop smoking advisor can help you decide which is right for you.
- Further ways to prepare to quit can be found in this factsheet.
And there's more support available ..
NHS Smokefree offers lots of free support to help you quit for good. Choose from:
Quit day set? Prepared and ready?