Employee wellbeing has become a key issue as organisations face the costs and potential impact of high absence levels and employee ill-health.
More and more organisations are realising that their biggest asset is their workers and the importance of promoting employee wellbeing. Keeping the workforce healthy – both physically and mentally – is beneficial for individuals and business.
Happy, healthy and motivated workforce supports:
- Reduced absenteeism
- Increased productivity and effectiveness
- Happier content staff giving rise to better recruitment retention
There are many issues relating to workplace wellbeing, for example:
- Back pain
- Impact of working environment
- Repetitive Strain Injury
- Long term illness
- Smoking or diet related illnesses
There are occasions when home life has an impact on our work. For example, people may be struggling with debt, caring for sick relatives or relationship issues.
As an Employer what can you do?
- Ensure that your employees receive adequate training for their jobs including health and safety issues
- Review your sickness and absence policies in line with best practice and make reasonable adjustments where necessary
- Train Managers to better deal with employee sickness absence and support staff when they return to work
- Ensure you have a safe environment for your staff to work in
- Positively promote healthy and wellbeing both in and out of the workplace.
- Visit the West Sussex Smokefree Partnership web page to find out what's being done to reduce smoking in West Sussex.
For free help and advice on how to create a healthy workplace visit the West Sussex Wellbeing Works website.
For more information about health at work, visit the British Heart Foundation website.